Fierce - Deborah and Jael
Main Point: God chooses leaders based on their faith, not their facade.
- What’s one idea from the message that stood out to you? Why do you think it grabbed you?
- What are the qualities or characteristics that you look for in a leader?
- Why do you think we put so much weight on exterior qualities?
- Who is one of your favorite surprising leaders in the Bible? Why?
Read: Judges 4:1-10.
- Verses 1-3 establish the pattern that Israel falls into. Why does it seem like Israel is constantly unintelligent, but we have a hard time seeing the same pattern in ourselves?
- In verses 4-10, Barak says he wants Deborah to go with him. Why do you think he wanted her with him? Have you ever wanted someone to be with you when attempting a task?
Read: Judges 4:14-24.
- Is there shame in a woman getting the glory for this battle? Why or why not?
- Jael was not an Israelite, but she was chosen by God. How do you react when an outsider is brought in to lead? How does our culture approach outsiders as leaders?
- What are some of your prejudices and assumptions regarding leaders that you need to work on?
- How can we raise up leaders to have the proper qualities that truly matter?
Prayer: Pray for wisdom in electing leaders and wisdom in how you lead.