Colossians - Cancel the Funeral
- What’s one idea from the message that stood out to you? Why do you think it grabbed you?
- What were you like as a teenager (rebellious, reserved, straight as an arrow)?
- Were your parents strict or permissive? When, if ever, did they start giving you freedom? What did that freedom mean to you?
Read: Colossians 2:11-15.
- What does our spiritual circumcision mean?
- How is this spiritual circumcision different from Jewish circumcision?
- What is the significance of the relationship between the Cross and the Law detailed in verses 13-15?
Read: Colossians 2:16-23.
- What type of freedom does Christ’s circumcision provide us?
- What are the Christians warned against and told to look out for with false teachers?
- Chapters 1 and 2 establish Christ’s position in existence. How does this passage remind us of this?
- How does Paul challenge the legalism that has infected the church?
- Do you feel like legalism is still a problem? Why or why not? How can this be addressed, if so?
- What are the failings of human commands and teachings?
- In applying these passages, how should we change our living? Have you been living just rules? How do we bring about the freedom that Paul is talking about?
This week, how can you best exercise the freedom you have in Christ?
Prayer: Pray that we live out our freedom and don’t get bogged down in rules.