Identity - Where Do I Fit In?
Main Point: Your core identity determines where you belong, not the other way around.
- What’s one idea from the message that stood out to you? Why do you think it grabbed you?
- What are some groups that you belong to, or belonged to previously?
- Why did you join those groups?
- Where or when have you struggled to fit in?
- What is the impact for you of feeling like you belong? What is the impact of feeling like you don’t belong?
Read: Genesis 1:26-27, Ecclesiastes 4:9-12, and Matthew 12:46-50.
- Why do you think our faith has become so individualistic? What damage or loss is there where our faith is focused on me instead of we?
- According to the Ecclesiastes passage, what are some of the benefits of community?
- Why do you think churches often times follow the formula of belief + behavior = belonging? What damage is done by following this formula?
- How can we shift our mindset to allow people to feel that they belong while they figure out what they believe?
- The Matthew passage states that we are a part of Jesus’s family, meaning that we have a place to belong because of our identity. Do you live in such a way that your identity determines where you belong, or do you live in a way where the group that you feel like you belong in determines your identity? How so?
Prayer: Pray for opportunities to engage in community and to bring others along with you.