Hacked - Feeling Good
Main Point: We want happiness, but we need endurance.
- What’s one idea from the message that stood out to you? Why do you think it grabbed you?
- What makes you happy?
- When have you needed endurance?
Read: The Third Claim of Moralistic Therapeutic Deism: The central goal of life is to be happy and feel good about oneself.
- How is this claim appealing and why is it difficult to resist?
- What is dangerous about the desire to be happy?
- Why do you think people have the mentality that a Christian life is supposed to be happy, and how can we help clarify that viewpoint?
Read: John 16:33, 2 Corinthians 4:11-12, 14-17, and James 1:2-4.
- How does the combination of troubles and peace presented in these passages compare and contrast with your opinions on how life is supposed to be?
- When has endurance helped you when happiness has failed?
Read: CS Lewis presents an idea that there are things in life that should be considered first things and there are things considered second things, and the only way you get the second things is by putting the first things first.
- What are some second things that you have put ahead of first things? How did that work out?
- How can we prioritize things properly?
- When someone’s happiness has faded, how can you help them to endure?
Prayer: Pray for endurance to persevere through the trials we face.